Friday, February 23, 2007

Saying Goodbye

My little Civic

The damage (more than $4000 worth!)


Today I had to say goodbye to my car. I know it's just a car, but it's more than just saying goodbye to a car. It's the finality of saying goodbye to my old life - the last remnant of my college and carefree days. Sure, it's already been 4 years since I was in college and over two years since I've had any sort of freedom, but there was something nostalgic when I got to drive my little Civic that took me back to those days and that feeling... and now even that is gone. Not only is it gone, but it is replaced by my arch nemisis - a minivan! I've never wanted to own a minivan, and here I am resigned to being a mini-van mom. At least hopefully I won't be a soccer mom since Gabriel seems much more interested in baseball and football! But alas, it's only a matter of time now... It's such a shame because that car still had years of life left in it! But God knew what He was doing and knew that we could use the money more than the car. I don't doubt that it was not mere coincidence that it got totaled right when we needed to buy a new car, but I sure will miss my little Civic just as much as I miss my carefree days when I drove it. But life moves on and I have to move on with it or else pretty soon I will be looking back and realizing I missed out on some of the greatest joys I have right now - my children's childhood. I'm sure I will have many nostalgic moments when I think back on my little Civic, just like I do when I think about the house I grew up in, but hopefully I will be able to come back to reality quickly and thank God for the many blessings in my life right now - even a mini-van!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily,
Thanks for coming to see me in hospital! I really appreciated it. Am feeling lots better now - I'll go back to school this week.

Sad news about your car, but fun to have a new one! I can't imagine driving such a huge car though - my mazda 626 is the biggest car I've driven!

Speak soon,
Anna

Anonymous said...

ouch, that can't be too good. hope you have fun in your new car because this one's toast! at least your new car is bigger, that's better... the bigger the better,... well maybe not always. take care of this car, you're going to need it for a while

Anonymous said...

Poor little Civic. I'll miss it, too. Actually the damage doesn't look too bad, but it was just enough.