Saturday, July 14, 2007

Micah’s Olive Cracked

While the title of this blog could be very easily sound ominous, it is in fact quite good. “Cracking the olive” is the way the surgeons down at University of Maryland describe the procedure for correcting Pyloric Stenosis in the vernacular. At 6:45 AM today, I was suddenly awakened by a nurse who said, “They’re ready to take him.” Having never been given an actual time for the surgery, I rushed to get everything together and called Emily, who was still at home at the time. At 7:30 AM they took Micah back for anesthesia and we had been told that the procedure could take anywhere from 45 minutes to 1 ½ hours depending on how complicated the case was. We waited until 10:15 AM (2 ¾ hours) before the doctor finally came out to get us. Needless to say we were getting pretty worried. When the doctor finally arrived, he told us that the surgery went well, but that it took so long because Micah had the largest “olive” (enlarged pylorus) that he had operated on in his thirteen years of doing the procedure. The doctor had attempted to use laproscopic surgery, but the pylorus was too large, so he had to correct it using traditional surgery. The scar will still be relatively small, however. In fact, the main incision was made through the belly button, so it will be difficult to even find it when he gets older. All-in-all Micah did very well with the surgery, and his recovery is expected to go well. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers through this tough time. We are very grateful for all of your support.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You all have been constantly on my mind and in my prayers. I thank God for his hand in healing Micah and I can't wait to get a chance to see him and you all again soon! I love you all!
Beth