Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Cloth Diapers

I've been considering switching to cloth diapers and I was wondering if anyone out there has any experience with this? I am wondering what type of diaper covers people like (I've read that Bummis and Thirsties are good), how messy it really is changing them, how smelly are they, do you need a new cover for each diaper change, and what method is best for washing the diapers? If you have any experience with this or know someone who does, I would appreciate any insight. Thanks!

p.s. I realize I am a little late on thinking about making this switch - I should have done this about 6000 diapers ago (yes, we have literally used more than 6000 diapers. It is kind of mind boggling to think about when you figure it out!) and I would have saved SO much money as well have saved a TON of space in a land fill! Any new moms out there should seriously consider using cloth since I've read that it's not only cheaper, but also better for the baby's skin and creates less diaper rash. I wish I had known that they have diaper covers that are as convenient as disposables to put on a long time ago!

2 comments:

Fred Avolio said...

This will not come as a shock to you. Lisa and I have experience with cloth diapers.

Also, I'd bet your mother does.

If you cannot imagine putting your hands in the toilet to get rid of the contents of the diaper, then this is not for you.

Oh, and we used plastic pants, not diaper covers, but the last diaper of our own we did was 8 years ago or so. On the other hand, cotton diapers haven't changed (no pun intended) and what kids put in them haven't changed.

You do the diapers in hot water in the washing machine, but, again, you have rinsed them in the toilet before dropping them into a diaper pail.

No smellier than disposable diapers. And you are SUPPOSED to empty disposables into the toilet, anyway. I think cloth diapers are easier.

Melissa T. said...

My mom used cloth diapers on the 4 of us. I remember she had all the dirty diapers in a big bleach bucket, which made everything just smell like bleach and poo. She used the plastic covers as well.

Aaron put his foot down with a firm "no" on cloth diapers for us. So I haven't personally changed one, but I'd be interested to know what you think if you start using them.