Sunday, December 30, 2007

Catch up with your dreams...

There’s one bedtime book that I read to the kids sometimes that the last line reads “Catch up with your dreams, Pooh’s waiting for you.” I’ve been thinking about that line today except with a slight substitution – “Catch up with your dreams, Dad’s waiting for you.”
I had an interesting dream last night. It was one of those dreams that seem very real, but you know that you are dreaming. In my dream, I knew that my dad was dead, but all of a sudden he appeared and I was able to run and give him a hug and talk to him briefly before he had to go again. It was rather strange in that no one else in my dream was able to see him except for me and one of my siblings. In my dream, when no one else could see him at first, it felt like I was just hallucinating or something even though he seemed very real to me, but then when my other sibling could see him, it was very reassuring to know that my dad really was there. Although I was dreaming, it was nice to be with him and have one last dad hug that felt as real as any other dad hug I’ve ever received. I think that’s why that line has been going through my head today, because although I will never see my dad again physically on this earth, there is one place where I will still be able to see him, talk to him, and even get hugs – in my dreams. I wish I knew how to force dreams like that to happen every night, but since I can’t, I will just have to wait until my dad appears again to have that feeling of utter joy and excitement that I had in my dream last night. It was such a sweet reunion that I can’t wait until we are reunited for all of eternity!

1 comment:

Beth, Dylan, Brandon, Summer Joy and Evelyn too! said...

em-i had a dream just like that probably 4-5 days after he died. i woke up and i could still feel his arms around me, just as it had been a real hug. thank you for sharing that you have been able to experience some of that short-lived joy! i love you sis!